2.20.2011

Deceptively Delicious

Who doesn't love a good smoothie? And they're so good for you, right? Most of the time, yes. However, if you're trying to lose weight like I am, you may want to know that even the most nutritious of smoothies can add up significantly on the calorie count. Yogurt, milk, protein powder - all add up to calories, even though they're good ones. Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking the good proteins in smoothies! But when I'm looking for is a quick snack... those types of smoothies aren't the best choice for me. My other dilemma? I really hate skim milk. I don't mind 1% ... but something about that last little percentage means a lot to my taste buds. :) Solution? Light vanilla soymilk! It makes an awesome base for my afternoon smoothie craving, and at 80 cals per cup, it's also a great choice for my waistline. Here are two recipes I've made this week that have been big winners. But feel free to use whatever fruits you love! The great thing about smoothies is that you can mix and match with the flavors that suit you from day to day. Have fun with it!

Cranberry-Pineapple-Mango

1/4 cup Just Cranberry juice (50 cals per cup)
1/2 cup Trop50 pineapple mango juice (50 cals per cup)
1 cup light vanilla soymilk (80 cals per cup)
1 teaspoon stevia sweetener

Blend until frothy and enjoy! No blender available? No problem. A spoon with work just fine on this one.

Cherry-Mango (Courtesy of my brilliant husband!)

1/4 cup cherries, frozen
1/4 cup mangoes, frozen
1 cup light vanilla soymilk

Blend in blender until smooth and enjoy! Add a splash of the Trop 50 pinapple-mango juice for an extra kick.

Smoothie tip: A very popular smoothie fruit is the banana - be careful with this one! Tasty? Yes. But very high in sugar. This can drive up your smoothie calorie count by 100 calories if you use a whole banana. I'm not knocking bananas, but if you're watching your calories, it's best to skip the banana for a less sweet fruit, and add a little stevia or Splenda instead.

Happy Blending!

No comments:

Post a Comment