6.09.2011

Quick! Chicken & Rice

Okay, I'll admit it - I'm a sucker for convenience, and that goes for food prep too. Unfortunately, a lot of "fast" food, even when not purchased from a greasy burger joint, is still pretty high in calories, fat and other unfavorable substances. And although I reach for them occasionally, the low-calorie freezer entrees are usually too small and bland to satisfy me, not to mention my husband won't touch them! I can make this in about 10 minutes and it satisfies our family! :) Next time when you're tempted to run to the drive-thru, take this one out for a spin instead!

Quick! Chicken & Rice - Makes 2 servings

1 cup shredded cooked chicken **
1 cup mixed veggies (I use frozen)
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. dried minced onion
1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 pkg. steam-in-bag brown rice OR 2 servings instant brown rice

Cook the rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, heat the poil in a pot and add the onion to steep in the oil while it heats. Once the rice is cooked and the oil is warm, add the rice, veggies and chicken to the pan. Cook until all components are warmed through and the onion oil is evenly distributed, about 3 minutes. Add soy sauce and mix thoroughly. Serve while hot and enjoy!

**You can use leftover chicken, or do what I do and reach for the canned cooked chicken breast. I usually keep a couple cans on hand in the pantry just in case!

No comments:

Post a Comment