9.26.2009

The obligatory first post...

Welcome to my food perspective! I come from a long line of southern cooks who believe that butter, sugar, cream and bacon make everything taste better (and they're right!). Unfortunately, neither my figure nor my wallet can afford for me to cook that way all the time. However, armed with the knowledge they've passed on to me, my stubborn curiosity and my passion to make and share great food, I've decided to start documenting my experiments with sustenance here for others to enjoy.

The recipes I share are typically founded on an original recipe or idea that I've found elsewhere that I've modified or adjusted to suit my preferences, budget or current cravings. I also love to take an original foundation recipe or ingredient and stretch it into several meals' worth of ideas - succulent surplus!

The first recipe I want to share is one that I found and revised to fit my measuring standards and tweaked a bit for fun. This one is best enjoyed warm from the oven, and if you can afford the extra calories - a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy your edible creations!

Pear-Berry Crumble

3 pears, peeled and sliced

1 cup berries

1/2 cup sugar

1/3 cup flour

3 T. vegetable oil

1/2 cup granola



Mix the sliced pears, berries and 1/4 cup of the sugar and pour into pie plate or other oven-safe dish. Mix together remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and the flour together in a separate bowl. Add the vegetable oil to the flour mixture and crumble together with your fingers. Sprinkle the crumble mixture on top of the fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the top is just slightly golden. Sprinkle the granola on top and bake for an additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment