4.14.2011

Spontaneous Casserole

It doesn't have a name, but if it did, it would probably be something like "Forgot to Plan Dinner Casserole" or something similar to indicate that I was a little desperate when I put it together. I know this is a fairly uncommon pairing of flavors, but trust me here!

1 cup brown rice, uncooked
1 lb ground beef
1 10-oz pkg chopped broccoli
1 can sloppy joe mix
1 can cream of chicken soup (I used the 98% fat free version)
1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (or whatever you have on hand)

Cook the rice according to package directions. While the rice is cooking, brown the meat in a skillet and defrost the broccoli. Allow the meat to cool a bit and combine broccoli and meat in a mixing bowl. Stir in sloppy joe mix and soup. When the rice is done, pour it into the bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Pour meat mixture evenly on top of the rice. Top with cheese and bake at 375 degrees until cheese is melted and bubbly.

No comments:

Post a Comment