9.03.2012

My Benedictine Fix

All right, be honest - who reading this knows what Benedictine spread is without cheating and doing a search?  I'm betting most of my friends do not, but those of you who do will be thinking of a creamy cucumber spread that is one of my favorite foods from my native Kentucky.  It's typically used as a dip or sandwich spread but it's good on oh-so-many things.

Anyway, in my quest to lose those last few lbs, the original Benedictine recipe is just not something I can budget for in my daily calorie intake.  So, this was my plan to satisfy my craving without breaking the calorie bank.  I'm thrilled to announce that it worked!

Oh... and one of these days you should really try the original recipe... it's pretty darn good.  If anyone wants it, leave me a comment and I'll see if my lovely Aunt Carrie is willing to let me publish hers.

Enjoy!

Benedictine Sandwich

2 slices of your favorite bread (I use Nickles 35 Calorie Light Wheat)
2 T. whipped cream cheese (whipped is key!)
4 slices of fresh cucumber
pinch of salt
pinch of onion powder

If you like, start by toasting the bread.  Spread one slice of bread with cream cheese and arrange cucumber slices on top.  If you're particular about your sandwich style like me, you'll probably cut the slices in half and arrange them to fit without hanging over the edge... Anyway! Sprinkle the cucumber slices with salt and onion powder to taste.  (Good southern girls know that tomatoes, cucumbers and slices of watermelon are always better with a pinch of salt!)  Top it off with the other slice of bread and enjoy!

It's that simple - use it for your on the go lunch or even for your kids' school lunches.


No comments:

Post a Comment