10.19.2009

Easy MexiCasserole

Saturday afternoon I was staring at my cabinets wondering what I could throw together before I had to leave the house. It needed to be healthy, easy and something that I could count on my husband eating the leftovers. ;-) I haven't been grocery shopping in several days so I didn't have much to work with - several cans but hardly anything fresh. Let's face it - it happens to the best of us: I resorted to my cans for a fast meal. Enjoy this Mexican themed conglomerate - we sure did! :)

Easy MexiCasserole - serves 6-8

2 cans lowfat turkey chili
1 can 98% fat free broccoli cheese soup
3 cups instant brown rice
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp minced garlic
2 T. taco sauce (plus more for serving)
8 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup coarsely crushed taco or tortilla chips (plus more for serving)
light sour cream, optional

Cook the rice according to package directions, then mix with the can of broccoli cheese soup and salt. Spread in the bottom of a 9X13 casserole dish. Heat the chili in a saucepan and mix in the remaining spices and taco sauce. Top with the taco chips and cheese and bake at 350 for 20 minutes until
cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve with additional taco sauce, chips and sour cream if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment