2.10.2012

Cranberry Orange Scones

I don't have much of an introduction here. My recipe brain has been whirring again and (with some help from Pinterest) I've been coming up with some exciting new things! This is a recipe I adapted from a recipe on SkinnyTaste.com. If you haven't tried her recipes yet, you should! :)

Cranberry Orange Scones

3/4 cup cold lowfat buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp orange extract
1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter (I used Smart Balance Light)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1.5 Tbsp sugar (for sprinkling)

Combine buttermilk, sugar, vanilla, orange extract & egg. Combine flour, baking powder & salt. Cut in chilled butter. (You can do this the old-fashioned way with two knives, or you can be like me and just pulse it into coarse meal in your food processor. Mine was easier. Your call.) Fold in cranberries (don't pulse these in the FP!). Add flour mixture to milk mixture and gently stir to combine. Place dough on floured surface and knead lightly. Form dough into a circle about 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough into 12 even triangles (a la picture below) and sprinkle evenly with remaining sugar. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly golden, 18-20 minutes.

My version: 135 calories per scone. Whoo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment