2.17.2012

Shepherd's Pie

Another recipe I've adapted from SkinnyTaste.com. She's giving me a lot of inspiration, and she has a lot of great ideas!

Husband and I both feel fairly negative about shepherd's pie. Neither of us really like it, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time in almost 5 years of marriage that I have even made it. BUT... I gave it a shot and it didn't turn out too badly.

I will confess that I did break a few rules for a "traditional" shepherd's pie (cauliflower... parmesan cheese...), but... I liked it better this way. Enjoy!

Shepherd's Pie

1 large head cauliflower (7-8in head)
1/3 cup fat free sour cream
3 Tbsp. butter/margarine (I use Smart Balance)
1 lb lean ground beef
1 tsp. canola oil
1 medium onion
3 cloves garlic
1 10-oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1 10-0z pkg frozen chopped broccoli (or buy the cuts and chop them yourself...)
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup chicken broth (I know, I know! But I don't like beef broth...)
3 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
salt and pepper

Steam cauliflower until tender (15-20 minutes). Let cool a few minutes. Pour cauliflower into a blender or food processor with the sour cream and butter (it helps if the butter is melted or softened). Blend until smooth. Salt to taste. This will act as the faux "potato" topping.

Brown ground beef and onions in skillet. Drain off excess fat. Add oil, garlic, and flour. Saute 2 minutes and then add broth, tomato paste and Worchestershire. Stir in all the vegetables and cook a few more minutes. Pour into the bottom of a 11x7 baking dish. Spread cauliflower mixture evenly on the top of the meat mixture. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, and then sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes.

I forgot to take a picture before we tore into it, but you can check out SkinnyTaste's photos if you like! Approximately 290 calories per serving, makes 8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment