3.17.2012

Spinach Tomato Tortellini

My friend Kristy brought me this yummy dish when my daughter was born, and we loved it so much that I asked for the recipe.  I've made it several times since then, and every time it is just so yummy! :)  This time I did decide to modify it based on a couple of our personal preferences and a couple things I had in the fridge.  (I always try to use what I have rather than buying more things just for one recipe.)  So here's my variation of her already delicious recipe!  Enjoy!

Spinach Tomato Tortellini
(Not sure if that's Kristy's official name for it, but that's what I made up)

1 16-oz package of cheese tortellini (or meat if you prefer)
1 15-oz can tomato sauce (not spaghetti sauce)
3 tsp dried basil
1 cup frozen spinach
1/8 cup flour
1/4 cup skim milk
1 10-oz package Philly Cooking Creme Roasted Garlic (or if you use the plain, just add 2 minced garlic cloves)
3 T. reduced fat grated Parmesan cheese

In a large skillet, pour tomato sauce and begin to defrost spinach in the sauce.  Add basil and stir occasionally.  While this warms, begin to boil water for pasta, and cook according to package directions.  Whisk together milk and flour. Once the spinach is warmed through and the sauce is bubbling, add milk mixture and cooking creme.  Continue to cook until sauce thickens, add parmesan cheese.  Add drained (do not rinse) tortellini to sauce and gently fold to combine.  Enjoy! :)

Makes 4 servings, approximately 420 calories per serving.


1 comment: